Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Step One: Being Honest With Yourself

Hello again everyone! I hope you all had a great, safe Memorial Day weekend and Memorial Day. I was out in the sun for quite a while and ended up getting a little burnt but hey, who cares? YOLO. Wow, I can't believe I just used that. Facebook statuses must be getting to me, shoot I tell you what. Ah oh well, anyways back to my ramblings.

So, my question tonight is, are you doing everything you can for the ones around you?

I will go ahead and answer that, no, most of us probably aren't. We say we do or will but in all reality we really just try something once or twice and then give up. Wow, we suck. Just saying.

Let me give you an example in my own life of how I say I will do everything I can for the ones around me but I don't. My brother Jacob is the most annoying person in the world, but I love him to death. I say I will help him with baseball, but I really never do, I always make excuses like I'm too tired or its too hot. Well, it doesn't really help him much when he is actually wanting to get better and would like his OLDER brother to help him out. I should jump all over that, but I don't. Dang, I'm just lazy.

My best excuse so far is, you don't ever do anything for me, why should I do something for you. Well shoot fire, looks like I contradict just about everything I blog for. That statement makes me pretty selfish and really not taking my own advice. I mean I'm pretty sure I have been preachin to help others no matter what, yet I say that to my own brother. Well dang, I caught myself red-handed. Yikes!

I suppose this is the part where I apologize to my readers for not following my own words, so hey I'm sorry. I will do better, that's a promise.

Funny thing is, I didn't originally want to write this blog to just tell you all how lazy I actually am or to let you know I messed up. It just lead into that I guess, but the real reason is because of a man named Jonathan Sperry. If you have seen The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry, well bravo, it is a great movie and if you haven't seen it...GO WATCH IT YA LOSER! (J/K you aren't a loser)...But for real, Mr. Sperry is what made me think about this question tonight. I'm going to straight up spoil the ending to the movie, so I'm sorry, still you need to watch it. In said movie, Mr. Sperry has a young lad mow the lawn of a man across the street that does not get out much due to his crippled form. He pays the boy to do it and to help the man, hopefully to give the man some hope, the way I see it. To cut to the point, at the end we find out that the man had actually been driving drunk four years prior and killed Mr. Sperry's wife.

Now why on Earth would Mr. Sperry want to pay someone to help someone else, when that someone else killed his wife? Well, Jonathan was one heck of a Godly man. He was able to forgive the man of what had happened and was wanting to give him faith in the Lord, something I assume the gentleman lost after he killed Mr. Sperry's wife. Obviously he lived in regret and Mr. Sperry wanted to help him get past it, so that is where the boy came in.

Okay I don't want to tell you all the whole movie, considering it is kind of long and well I'm tired so to make this simple, Mr. Sperry lived and died by the Bible. Period. Case closed. So how does this relate to my original question and my experience? Well let's see, Mr. Sperry was willing to do anything for the man that killed his wife because he loved God and had faith in the Lord's word, I don't want to help my brother because he's annoying. Jonathan Sperry wins by KO!

Blah blah blah, what's your point? Well, my point is, when we say we are living by the Bible and are willing to do anything no matter what, are we really? I'm sure there isn't anywhere in the Bible that says I must play baseball with my brother when he wants to. But I do know it says this, " Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act". I believe that everyone deserves good no matter who they are or what they do, for the Bible tells me that, therefore this from Proverbs 3:27 means this to me: I should not make excuses for not wanting to help, I should just simply help. I'd need to be dead tired to not want to help of all people my brother. So I'll be sure to stop slacking.

But are you going to continue making excuses for why you aren't helping someone? Even if they have done wrong to you, are you willing to give them your other cheek (Matthew 5:38-42) and do all that you can to help them seek the Lord? All it takes is a little bit of honesty within yourself. Honesty to admit to the world that you have done wrong and are ready to do what's right. By you doing the right thing, others will follow.

Who knows if you all understand my message tonight... It sure sounded good while I was thinking it in my head, maybe I should type these before it gets an hour past my bed time, oh well I suppose. Peace out cubscouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment