Monday, April 30, 2012

Ramblings...

I can't think of any way right now to really tie everything in my head together at the moment, so this next blog is going to be just a big ramble of my thoughts. Who knows, maybe it will all connect at the end, maybe it won't...We shall see.

First off, to anyone that really cares, I am sorry for not posting in a few days (Not that that's many of you). I had a few drafts started but I eventually gave up and I shall combine those ideas together. Here goes nothing...

I have been wanting to talk about one of my favorite mottos, "Play hard, play smart, most of all play to have fun". You probably recognize this as a motto from little league baseball, at least that is the only place I have heard it. For me, this is a lifestyle. In little league, all I could think about was baseball, it was my passion and if I had the choice I would have slept behind home plate each night. Those of you that don't know me, yes I am crazy. But those words were my life, I would try my hardest each game and played as smart as I could to help my team. At the end of the day I had as much fun as possible on the field. To me the game wasn't ever about winning, I mean heck if it was I would still have a grudge on my brother because he dropped the easiest catch in the world in our Minor League championship game. We killed all season but lost that game, but who cares? I had a ton of fun on the team, made a bunch of new friends (granted I don't talk to any of them now) and learned a lot from my coach.

I guess my point is nowadays, it seems as if the motto has been changed. People are teaching kids, "Play hard, play smart, most of all play to win". Play to win should only be in the MLB where you are making the big bucks and a win can mean the difference in a season (Don't tell me one win doesn't make a difference, go ask the Braves and Red Sox). In little league the game should really only be about fun. Winning is fun, but winning isn't everything. In my opinion, if you come out a loser, with your head held high and you tried your best, you are a winner too. But kids now seems to only strive to win. When I watch a game I see teammates yelling at each other because someone accidentally missed a ball. To quote Brother Tommy, "Really?!" Come on now, you guys are supposed to be supportive of one another, on the field you are supposed to always have each others backs. Go watch The Bad News Bears, prime example of how to have fun on a baseball field. Or even The Sandlot, that one is even better if you ask me. Parents it is time to educate your kids the right way, it isn't always about winning, its about going out there and making the best of your abilities and having fun with 10 or so other kids.

I want to teach my children about character. The talents that people have are great, it helps to be talented, but talent is nothing without character. One of my role models is Tim Tebow, yeah I'm sure some of you readers are thinking "Geez you are gay" but I'm serious. Tebow to me is one of the most talented players in the NFL. He has the skills to be great regardless of what anyone says but he has the character to be a legend. How often is it that you see someone pray to God during every game. Tebow praises God for the good and bad. No matter what happens he looks to his Father and thanks him for what he has. He doesn't put blame on his teammates, if anything it is on himself. He is a very positive player that rubs off on everyone around him. Now I know there are tons of people that think he sucks and shouldn't even be a QB, but I really think you are wrong. He is a leader and a fighter. He is exactly who I would want leading my team into each and every game. For me, character is the key...

Oh before I stop rambling, I want to add the following:  "Nice guys finish last."- I think this goes right along with character... Who ever said that nice guys cared? I mean since when did they care where they finish? I like to think that I am a nice guy, I know that I haven't been perfect and I have been in the wrong before, but I think I am nice, maybe too nice. I don't care about where I finish in something. As long as whatever it is I do, I do showing respect and dignity I am fine. To me, it is always better to lose while doing what is right than to win while being in the wrong.

On that note, before I hit 1000 words and lose all motivation to type my essay, I am going to stop. I'm sorry that this one was pretty sloppy and a huge ramble/rant. Oh well I suppose. Until next time, which is possibly going to be later tonight, au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment